fogus Profile picture
Jun 29, 2017 25 tweets 7 min read Read on X
It's apt that this issue has an obit for Tandy, the man who rescued Radio Shack in 1968... a company now on the brink of death.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with fogus

fogus Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @fogus

Jul 13, 2021
When I first started working on The Joy of Clojure a sub-goal (aside from even completing it) was to create something that was useful and unique across different editions. This was motivated by the fantastic "Modern Operating Systems" by Tannenbaum.
amazon.com/Modern-Operati…
Each edition covers the latest in OSDev tech but it also frames examples in slightly different example Ones, modern and historical. The case studies cover differing sets across different editions and the research sections in older editions typically feed the focus of later eds.
On top of all of that, the bibliographies act as fascinating snapshots of OSDev theory over time.

Truly it's worthwhile to read every edition of Modern Operating Systems and I hope that with JoC the same could be said of the 1st and 2nd editions.
Read 6 tweets
May 12, 2021
You live in another timeline where your only computer is an Intel 386-based machine running MS-DOS 5.0.

What games are you playing, what is your dev environment, what are your productivity apps?
I'm playing DND by R.O.Software. Programming in Turbo C++. I'm writing in Wordstar and taking notes with KAMAS.
I would probably add JASSPA MicroEmacs to the computer as well.
Read 4 tweets
Jul 20, 2017
I'm not familiar with the author David T. Craig. Any further information on his other works is appreciated.
This is going to be fun.
Read 38 tweets
Jul 19, 2017
Retrocomputing find of the day. "Apple Pascal: A Hands On Approach" --> web.archive.org/web/2015040500…
This book is especially interesting because it required the reader to have an Apple II with a Microsoft Softcard installed.
The SoftCard was a plug-in board with a Z-80 processor that was used to run the embedded CP/M OS. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-80_Soft…
Read 8 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(