Tweet this page!

Thread Reader is happy to present
an unrolled Twitter story with 14 tweets
#Bombardier #Brexit #snookered

A follow-up to my thread on #Bombardier yesterday. #Brexit means losing protection of EU’s trade umbrella, but it gets worse. /1
Being part of the EU helps us defend ourselves against aggressive trade defence policies of others, eg US punitive measures v #Bombardier /2
Like the US, the EU uses trade defence measures such as anti-dumping (AD) & counter-vailing duties (CVDs). https://www.gov.uk/guidance/anti-dumping-duty-to-protect-eu-businesses-against-cheap-imports /3
UK industries have reaped the benefit of EU trade safeguard measures, eg Welsh steel mills: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/uk-steel-industry-welcomes-eu-11705767 /4
The European Commission’s robust defence of EU businesses is good news for them, bad news for competitors who use unfair trade practices. /5
Jeremy & John want out of the EU because they think the EU stops the UK using state aid to help its industry. You see where I’m heading? /7
Even outside the Single Market, if UK exporters want to access the EU they will need to respect EU rules or risk being Bombardiered. /8
I don’t see this angle getting enough exposure in UK debate. Within the EU, the UK enjoys shelter from US AD/CVDs. Outside, it’s exposed. /9
But outside EU not only is the UK exposed to the full force of aggressive US safeguards - it’s also exposed to potential EU safeguards! /10
The EU will continue to defend its producers robustly. After Brexit, UK could be the target rather than beneficiary of EU’s defences. /11
A future EU-UK agreement might prohibit such trade measures, but only in an EEA+ arrangement where UK agrees to all EU state aid rules. /12
But that wouldn’t be taking back control. And Brexists on the left and right want control over UK industrial policy. /13
But even then we’d have to respect EU state aid rules, if we want access to our biggest market, or risk AD/CVD measures. #snookered /14

More from @ottocrat (see all)

Related: #Bombardier #Brexit #snookered