Gabrielle Giffords Profile picture
Nov 6, 2017 10 tweets 2 min read Read on X
The shooting in #SutherlandSprings was among the worst in U.S. history.

3 of the 5 deadliest shootings have come in the past 2 years.
This trend is tragic. It's horrifying. It is NOT normal. And we need your help to do something about it.

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Gabrielle Giffords

Gabrielle Giffords Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @GabbyGiffords

Jan 8, 2022
11 years ago today, a normal Saturday morning in Tucson turned our lives upside down. I was shot in the head. Six of my constituents were killed and 12 more were injured. My life and my community would never be the same. We were devastated, but we were not broken.
The Tucson community came together. We found purpose and hope in each other. We mourned our friends and neighbors.

Christina-Taylor Green
Dorothy Morris
Judge John Roll
Phyllis Schneck
Dorwan Stoddard
Gabe Zimmerman

I will carry their memories with me forever.
My recovery has been tough. It’s frustrating not being able to speak or walk the way I used to. But one word after another, I found hope and the determination to keep going. I have found strength in my husband @CaptMarkKelly, our family, my speech therapist, and my friends.
Read 4 tweets
Jan 8, 2021
Ten years ago, my life and my community changed forever. I was shot in the head, six people were killed, 12 others injured. But the attack did not break me—or the people I represented in Congress. We came together, turned pain into purpose, and found hope in each other.
Today, my heart and mind are with those we lost in the Tucson shooting:

Christina-Taylor Green
Gabe Zimmerman
Judge John Roll
Phyllis Schneck
Dorwan Stoddard
Dorothy Morris

Their memories are a blessing that keeps me going, even when times are tough.
My recovery hasn’t been easy. There have been plenty of obstacles along the way. One of my hardest decisions was stepping down from Congress, where I served the community I will always call home. But I continued to work on getting better and honoring the lives we lost.
Read 4 tweets
Jan 7, 2021
Sitting in the hospital 10 years ago, I knew I faced a long road to recovery. I wasn’t alone.

I’m so inspired by Roxanna Green, @pamelaksimon, @marycelery and @PATRICIAMAISCH1. They’ve faced loss and pain, but fight every day to save others from it. azcentral.com/in-depth/news/…
Roxanna lost her bright 9-year-old daughter Christina-Taylor Green on that tragic day nearly 10 years ago. It takes great courage and strength to keep going. She honors her daughter’s memory every day by fighting for safer communities. Image
Pam worked for my congressional office and survived a gunshot to the wrist and chest. A former teacher, Pam is no stranger to difficult audiences, including reluctant politicians. But she never stops fighting for change, and that’s just one of the things I love about her. Image
Read 5 tweets
Aug 4, 2019
I have no more words. I only have anger. President Donald Trump and Leader Mitch McConnell must call the Senate back from August recess immediately. We cannot afford to wait another day for lawmakers to address this horrific national public safety threat. #daytonshooting
In less than one minute, one man with a gun murdered 9 people and injured 16 others. This is not normal. The shootings that happened this weekend—the shootings that happen every single day in America—are not normal. #daytonshooting
The defenders of the status quo—advocates of the firearms industry and the politicians paid to defend it—will tell you that horrific acts of violence like this are beyond our control. This could not be further from the truth. #daytonshooting
Read 5 tweets
Jun 1, 2019
We’re only 151 days into 2019 and there have already been 150 mass shootings. This reality is horrifying. It’s heartbreaking. And the fact that our nation’s leaders continue to fail to protect us should fuel outrage in every American. #VirginiaBeach
The stories of survivors from Virginia Beach touch on a familiar refrain: a workday shattered by gunfire. Coworkers huddled on the floor trying to stay quiet as the shooting gets closer. The disbelief that it’s finally happening to them. Our hearts are in Virginia tonight.
If gun violence feels like an everyday occurrence, that’s because it is. Every single day, nearly 100 lives are lost because of guns. This is not normal. No other developed nation in the world experiences this kind of daily heartbreak and horror. #VirginiaBeach
Read 5 tweets
Feb 27, 2019
Today’s historic gun safety victory in Congress is a testament to courage. Just eight weeks into the new Congress, courage is what inspired the House to pass #HR8.
When it looked like the gun lobby would forever silence any debate on stronger gun laws, courage shone through. Courage embodied by relentless advocates and resilient survivors, and exemplified by leaders who ran for office and won on the promise to fight for a safer future.
Tragically, the cost to our communities while we waited over a decade for this progress has been far too high. Hundreds of thousands of American lives have been lost. Far too many families and communities, including my own, have been forever changed.
Read 6 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us!

:(